Life Insurance with Crohn’s Disease
There are plenty of affordable options for getting life insurance for someone with Crohn’s, although not every insurer offers cover for Crohn’s disease sufferers.
Many people with Crohn’s or Colitis are classified as having a disability under the 2010 Equality Act. This act prohibits insurers from discriminating by refusing insurance to applicants with a disability.
For someone with Crohn’s, it’s important to understand how the condition and other situation-specific factors could affect your premiums.
In this article, we’ll cover…
- Do life insurers cover Crohn’s disease?
- Can I get life insurance if I have Crohn’s disease?
- Calculating cost of life insurance
- Things to know when getting life insurance
- Speak to an expert advisor today!
Can I get life insurance if I have Crohn’s disease?
The answer is yes! Life insurers will usually offer cover to people with Crohn’s disease.
If you have received a Crohn’s disease diagnosis and would like to apply for life insurance, here are some things to bear in mind:
- Life insurers won’t consider you for cover unless six months have passed from the time of your initial diagnosis. This is because it usually takes a minimum of six months to ensure the diagnosis was accurate.
- The longer it’s been since your last flare-up of Crohn’s, the more likely you are to be approved for life insurance and the cheaper your premiums will be.
An insurance company will also weigh up the risk and make a decision on your premiums based on health factors such as your medical history, doctor’s reports, and treatment plan and your Crohn’s disease rating.
The insurance advisors we work with understand how disability risk is measured and can take you directly to the providers with the best quotes for the policy you need. Make an enquiry to get started.
Calculating cost of life insurance
In addition to your Crohn’s disease information, insurers will look at a full overview of your health records.
They’ll typically examine the following:
- Heart rate
- Blood pressure
- Overall medical history
They will likely also require you to provide urine (and possibly even blood) samples in a medical exam after the application process and examine results from these before offering life cover.
Your life cover premium price will depend on your personal situation and how severe a case of Crohn’s disease you have.
However, even in very severe cases, an insurance advisor can help guide you towards your best deal. They can also take you directly to a provider they know will be the right match for the details of your application.
Get in touch and we’ll match you with an expert.
Things to know when getting life insurance
Here are some questions a life insurance advisor is likely to ask in order to fully assess your situation and make a recommendation for a life cover application:
- When were you first diagnosed?
- When did last symptoms appear?
- How many episodes have you had in total and over the past six months?
- Do you take medication?
- Were you ever hospitalised due to Crohn’s disease?
- Have you ever been recommended for surgery due to Crohn’s?
- Have you had surgery?
- Were you ever qualified for disability due to Crohn’s?
An expert insurance advisor can help you build a complete picture of your condition and circumstances and understand how these will impact on your chances of getting a rated policy.
Get in touch to speak to an insurance expert who can make the process straightforward and take you directly to your best offer.
Speak to an expert advisor today!
Although Crohn’s disease doesn’t shorten life expectancy, it’s a serious condition which may make getting life cover all the more important, particularly if you have dependants.
Life insurance is a vital tool for protecting your loved ones and financial assets should anything happen to you. But finding the best insurer for the specifics of your situation can be complex and you may end up paying higher rates than necessary. That’s why experts recommend soliciting the help of an insurance advisor who can quickly compare all offers available to bring to you directly to your best deal.
Give us a call on 0808 189 0463 or make an enquiry to be connected to an independent insurance advisor.