Life Insurance for HGV Drivers
Life insurance (sometimes known as ‘life cover’ or ‘life assurance’) is a policy designed to pay out to your family if you die during the period of your coverage. The purpose is to ease the financial burden that your death could put on your family.
Take a look at our detailed guide to life insurance for more information about life insurance, how it works and the different types of cover available.
This article looks at how being an HGV driver might impact the cost of life insurance.
Read on for:
All the expert advisors we work with are independent financial advisors with the tools and knowledge to ensure you get the best cover at the most competitive price on the market.
Alternatively, you can call us on 0808 189 0463 for a free, no-obligation chat.
A quick guide
As an HGV driver, you should be able to get life insurance on standard terms. However, since your job requires you to spend hours a day sitting in the same position, the likelihood of developing certain conditions increases.
The nature of your job could lead to health conditions such as:
- Deep vein thrombosis.
- High BMI
- Type 2 diabetes (as a result of high BMI)
But, all things considered, getting cover as an HGV driver shouldn’t be difficult and you’re unlikely to be deemed high risk unless you regularly travel to certain regions or haul particularly dangerous chemicals.
As a general rule, the specifics of your day-to-day job will determine your risk profile and corresponding premium costs.
How is life insurance calculated?
There are two sets of determining factors.
- Specialist factors, unique to your job – such as your average driving time.
- General factors, which are common to all kinds of life insurance – for example, your age and how long you want the cover to last.
- The amount of time you spend driving every day (the fewer the hours, the better).
- The type of goods you haul. For example, dangerous goods such as explosive materials or hazardous chemicals.
- Your routes – where you travel to and how long you spend there. Certain countries are seen as more dangerous and can increase your premiums.
- How much heavy lifting you do? E.g. Do you regularly have to unload heavy goods?
- The type of cover you want (ie. whole life or level term).
- How much cover you want (ie. the total you want your life to be insured for).
- How long you want the term of your cover to be.
- Your general health and lifestyle (ie. whether you have any pre-existing illnesses, or whether you smoke).
How do I get the best deal?
That’s easy. Speak to an independent life insurance expert, who has experience working with HGV drivers and who can access the whole of the market. They can help you find out exactly what you need, and then help you to get the very best deal on that level of cover.
We work with whole-of-market insurance experts who have a strong track record when it comes to customers in specific professions, including HGV vehicle driving. Get in touch and we’ll introduce you to one of them for free.
The benefits of working with an expert insurance broker
- Make sure you’re not under or over-insured: You may have some cover already through your employer, but an expert can help you to determine whether it’s enough – or whether you could get a better deal elsewhere.
- Save money and get the best deal on the market: An independent advisor can access the entire insurance market. This includes little known and broker-only deals that the price comparison sites don’t know about.
- Save yourself time: No need to handle all of the paperwork or spend ages trawling comparison sites. Let an expert handle it all for you.
- Peace of mind: Know that someone who does this for a living has helped you to find the best deal possible, and is only a phone call away to answer any questions you may have.
Talk to a life insurance expert today
If you have questions about life insurance for HGV drivers and want to speak to an expert for the right advice, call 0808 189 0463 or make an enquiry.
All the advisors we work with are independent financial advisors with access to every insurance provider in the UK. They will be happy to answer all your questions and make sure you get the right level of cover at the best possible price.
The service we offer is free and there’s no obligation.