0808 189 0463


        0808 189 0463

        Updated: April 06, 2024

        Transferring Child Trust Funds to Junior ISAs

        Need to transfer a Child Trust Fund account into a junior ISA. Find out how to do it quickly and easily in our guide

        Ask A Quick Question

        We can help! We know everyone's circumstances are different, that's why we work with brokers who are experts in ISAs. Ask us a question and we'll get the best expert to help.

        FCA Logo
        1 of 2
        2 of 2 Send!

        No impact on your credit score

        Child Trust Funds (CTFs) are tax-efficient savings accounts that parents could open for their kids between 2002 and 2011. They have since been replaced by junior ISAs, but there are options available to you if you opened a CTF before the scheme was shuttered.

        This guide will outline exactly what those options are, including transferring a CTF to a junior ISA.

        You’ll find the following topics covered below…

        Can I have a Child Trust Fund and a Junior ISA?

        No. You cannot have a Child Trust Fund (CTF) and a junior ISA. The government introduced junior ISAs to replace CTFs in 2011 and they work in much the same way. Both have a savings cap of £9,000 a year for 2020/21 and can be accessed by the child whose name they’re in from age 18.

        Whether you’re saving into a junior ISA or a CTF, the money you put in will be free from both income and capital gains tax, and both types of account can be either cash or stocks and shares-based.

        Since CTFs have been phased out, it is no longer possible to open a new account but you can continue to pay into an existing CTF that you started for your son or daughter.

        You can open more than one junior ISA in your child’s name, although it is only possible to hold one junior cash ISA and one junior investment ISA at the same time. You can spread your £9,000 allowance across the two accounts, but opening any form of junior ISA will mean that you’ll have to convert any Child Trust Funds you have opened in the same child’s name.

        Speak to a expert today

        Can you transfer Child Trust Funds to junior ISAs?

        Yes. The government introduced the option to convert a Child Trust Fund into junior ISA in April 2015. Since then, anyone who opened a CTF has been able to either keep paying into the same fund (up to the £4,368 a year), switch the existing account to a new provider, or transfer the savings into a junior ISA.

        There are two main types of junior ISA: cash and investment. Cash junior ISAs function like a regular savings account with a clearly defined interest rate, while with the investment-based version, your money is invested in stock market equities or collective investment plans, so the price of your investments could rise or fall, depending on how they perform.

        You can transfer a cash-based CTF to a stocks and shares junior ISA or vice versa. The same applies to investment-linked CTFs, as they can be converted to cash-based junior ISAs or another investment account. If you’re considering switching to a junior ISA, be sure to speak to an independent financial advisor first as it will not be possible to switch back to a Child Trust Fund account.

        Will I have to pay a transfer fee?

        If you’re transferring from a cash-based junior ISA then the answer is no. But there are usually costs associated with switching from an investment-linked account. If you are moving from a stocks and shares CTF to a cash junior ISA there may be dealing costs or stamp duty charges involved in selling the assets so you can make the transfer.

        You should also be sure to check what management and activity fees you will have to pay if you’re moving to an investment junior ISA, although fees and charges are typically lower for junior ISAs than investment-linked Child Trust Funds.

        How to find a lost Child Trust Fund

        If you’ve lost track of your Child Trust Fund account, transferring the funds to a junior ISA may still be possible as the government has a handy online tracing tool that you can use to find out which provider your account was with.

        You will need to sign up for a Government Gateway ID on HMRC’s website to use the tool. Once you have your login, simply enter your details along with your child’s personal information and HMRC will respond to you within 15 days to tell you which provider manages your account.

        You can then contact the provider directly to regain control of the account and kickstart the transfer, but be sure to speak to a financial advisor before pressing ahead with the switch.

        Should I transfer my CTF to a junior ISA?

        Most experts would recommend transferring a Child Trust Fund to a junior ISA for a number of reasons. Firstly, interest rates on junior ISAs are typically higher than CTF rates. There is also more product choice on offer with junior ISAs and fees tend to be lower.

        Since you cannot transfer back to a CTF once you’ve switched to a junior ISA, speak to a financial advisor before making the jump. You will need to be certain you’re getting the best possible deal in terms of investment returns and fees, and the whole-of-market experts we work with can make sure that’s what you’ll end up with. They will also provide bespoke advice every step of the way.

        If you’re switching to (or from) an investment-linked account, it is doubly important to work with an expert, as they can weigh up all of the pros and cons of the transfer for you.

        Should you decide you want to stick with a CTF, for whatever reason, you will still have the option to switch the account to another provider who is offering superior rates.

        How to find junior ISAs that accept CTF transfers

        Most junior ISA providers accept Child Trust Fund transfers, but if you’ve found a provider you’re interested in moving to, it’s always worth checking in case they’re among the minority that don’t.

        You can contact them directly to request a transfer and they will provide you with the necessary documents, but keep in mind that going directly to one provider will only give you access to their junior ISA deals. There’s a vast market out there and it pays to compare it thoroughly.

        This is where an independent financial advisor is worth their weight in gold. They have whole-of-market access and can help you find the best junior ISA to transfer your CTF funds into, based on your attitude to risk, investment experience, needs and circumstances.

        Make an enquiry with us and we’ll introduce you to a financial advisor for free.

        How do I transfer a Child Trust Fund to a Junior ISA?

        You should start by seeking professional advice from an independent financial advisor as they will be able to explore whether a transfer is in you and your child’s best interest. They can also help you find the right Junior ISA if a transfer is the right course of action, and walk you through the process step by step.

        The process itself simply involves opening up a Junior ISA. The ISA provider will need to know details about the Child Trust fund you’re moving the funds from, including its Unique Reference Number, and you will need to complete a Child Trust Fund to Junior ISA transfer form.

        Your child cannot hold both types of account at the same time, so the Child Trust Fund will need to be closed when the transfer takes place. Only a registered contact of a Child Trust Fund can request the transfer and it must be the same family member who registers their name against the Junior ISA.

        Speaking to an expert before you transfer can be highly beneficial as they will be able to help you with all of the paperwork and offer bespoke advice from start to finish.

        Speak to an expert

        Whether you’re planning to move your Child Trust Fund into a junior ISA or simply transfer it to another provider, seeking professional advice will pay off. We can introduce you to a CTF expert who will make sure the money you’re investing in your child’s future is in the best possible place.

        Call 0808 189 0463 or make an enquiry online and we’ll match you with an independent financial advisor for a free, no-obligation chat.

        Ask A Quick Question

        We can help! We know everyone's circumstances are different, that's why we work with brokers who are experts in ISAs. Ask us a question and we'll get the best expert to help.

        FCA Logo
        1 of 2
        2 of 2 Send!
        Richard Angliss

        Richard Angliss

        Finance Expert

        About the author

        Richard Angliss has made a career in financial services which stretches over 40 years.

        His early career was spent learning about the various financial products and applying them to prudent advice, working for one of the largest life assurance and investment firms. After that he joined the financial services arm of a very well-known firm providing independent advice to their 8 million customers.

        For the last 20 years he has been involved in building software solutions that help Advisers and clients work together to achieve good financial outcomes and helping to set up three independent advisory firms. He also has written many articles for financial services publications and provided commentary for newspaper journalists.

        At an early stage in his career he realised the great satisfaction that comes with being able to help people achieve their goals and protect their families. “Regulation of financial services has hugely impacted on ensuring people get appropriate advice. The issue these days is access to that advice and just as importantly regular reviews to make sure that everything stays on track”.

        With the growing development of online resources such as Online Money Advisor he sees a great future for people to access advice to make their pension and investment work harder for them.  Plus, of course, to ensure they have insurance products in place that will be required when unforeseen events happen.

        He knows getting that balance right is crucial to prudent financial planning and the wellbeing of individuals and their families.

        FCA Disclaimer

        *Based on our research, the content contained in this article is accurate as of the most recent time of writing. Lender criteria and policies change regularly so speak to one of the advisors we work with to confirm the most accurate up to date information. The information on the site is not tailored advice to each individual reader, and as such does not constitute financial advice. All advisors working with us are fully qualified to provide mortgage advice and work only for firms that are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. They will offer any advice specific to you and your needs.

        Some types of buy to let mortgages are not regulated by the FCA. Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. As a mortgage is secured against your home, it may be repossessed if you do not keep up with repayments on your mortgage. Equity released from your home will also be secured against it.