Updated: February 25, 2022

Single Skin Wall Property Mortgages

Buying a property with a single skin wall and worried about getting a mortgage? You've got plenty of options! Find out exactly what to do next in our guide!

Get Started
Ask A Quick Question

Ask a quick question

We know everyone's circumstances are different, that's why we work with mortgage brokers who are experts in all different Property Types. Ask us a question and we'll get the best expert to help.

FCA Logo
1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3 Send!

No impact on your credit score

Pete Mugleston

Author: Pete Mugleston - Mortgage Expert

Updated: February 25, 2022

You’ve fallen in love with a single skin wall property and want to know if you can get a mortgage on it. Don’t panic. It’s definitely possible, as long as you follow the right steps.

This guide will give you all the information you need to know about mortgages for single skin wall homes and how to get one. It will cover everything from the different types of single brick properties, to finding the best mortgage rates and the eligibility requirements. It will also explain how you can get matched with a broker to get your application off to the best possible start.

Can you get a mortgage on a single skin property?

Yes, you can! It may not be a straightforward process, but with the right advice, there’s no reason why it can’t be possible.

Single skin wall properties and single brick constructions fall under the non-standard property niche. This means that fewer mortgage lenders will be prepared to offer you a mortgage.

The following are the main types of single skin properties:

  • Single brick construction
  • Single skin construction
  • Single brick extensions
  • Single skin brick walls
  • Single brick walls
  • Single skin breeze block construction

Getting a mortgage on a non-standard construction can be complicated as the mortgage lender needs to understand the risks before considering any mortgage application.

If the property you’re interested in has any of these elements, then you will need to seek specialist mortgage advice. This is where we can help. We can match you with a broker who specialises in single skin property mortgages. They will maximise your chances of getting approved for a mortgage and securing the best interest rate on offer.

Speak to a mortgage expert today

Get Started

The difficulties you might face

There are certain safety issues associated with these properties. New-builds no longer use the single skin wall method as it does not meet modern building regulations.

It is also becoming rarer for mortgage providers to lend if the whole property is a single brick construction, or even if two storeys are affected.

Because of these issues, many lenders are worried about the resale value of these properties. They fear they might not be able to recoup their investment in the event of a repossession.

However, many lenders rely on the surveyor’s final decision on the security and future value of a property, so you may still be in luck.

How a broker can help you get a single skin mortgage

Getting a single skin mortgage is a tricky process. A broker will take the stress out of the process and guide you through it, maximising your chances of getting approved and finding the best rates possible.

Anyone can have a look at highstreet banks and take a look at their mortgage rates. However, as single brick mortgages are non-standard, many banks won’t offer mortgages on them and those that do may not offer their standard rates.

A broker has access to the whole of the market and therefore can find lenders you wouldn’t necessarily come across on your own. They also have access to exclusive deals and are experienced in negotiating rates. This could save you from paying unnecessarily high rates.

Starting your application

There are some simple steps you can take to give you the best chance of getting a mortgage on a single skin property approved first time.

  1. Get your documents ready: Lenders will want to see proof of identity, at least three months of bank statements, among other documents. You can find a full list of the documents you’ll need in our guide to mortgage applications.
  2. Get a surveyor/valuation: For single brick properties, lenders will place even more importance on the surveyor’s report, so you might need to use a specialist in non-standard properties.
  3. Speak to a mortgage broker: You’ll need a broker who specialises in non-standard properties as they have the knowledge, experience and lender contacts to help you get approved first time and land a favourable interest rate. What’s more, they will guide you through the application process and advise you on what kind of surveys you need.

Eligibility requirements

With non-standard construction properties, lenders can be stricter on the eligibility requirements. Here is the criteria you’ll need to meet to get approved for a mortgage…


As these mortgages are deemed non-standard, some lenders will want you to put down a larger deposit than the standard 10% to help reduce the risk they are taking on.

A lot of lenders have a maximum loan to value (LTV) ratio of between 60% and 65% for single skin properties, meaning you will need to find a larger deposit to make up the difference.


Lenders will look at your annual income to assess your affordability. With standard mortgages, most require a yearly salary of at least £25,000. This can increase to over £40,000 on non-standard properties.

If you’re self-employed it may be more complicated. But, don’t worry – there are lenders that offer specialist mortgages for the self-employed.

Credit record

Like all mortgages, your credit record is important. Lenders will check your credit history as part of your application. It is a good idea to download your credit report first to check it for accuracy and see if there’s any issues you can sort out before applying.

If your credit record is bad, don’t panic. There are lenders that specialise in bad credit mortgages. However, ongoing debt issues are more likely to negatively affect your eligibility, but with the right advice, it’s often possible to get the mortgage you need.

Lenders’ appetite for single brick mortgages

While some lenders are wary about granting mortgages on non-standard property types, there are still quite a few that will consider your application.

For example, the following lenders grant mortgages for single skin wall properties…

  • United Trust Bank
  • Together
  • Beverley Building Society

The rates vary depending on how risky the property is deemed to be. However, as a guide, Together offers 5.69% on a 5-year fixed deal, with a maximum LTV of 60%.

A lot of well-known banks, including HSBC and NatWest, don’t offer these types of mortgages. This means a broker can add even more benefit as you may not be as familiar with the potential lenders.

What if your property has a single skin extension?

Getting a mortgage on a property with a single skin extension can be easier than when the whole property is affected. This is because the risk is deemed lower if the non-standard construction only applies to part of the property.

Some lenders – like TSB and Nationwide – will only consider applications on extensions. TSB only considers applications if the single skin is part of a one storey extension. Nationwide is slightly more flexible and will consider extensions up to two storeys high.

Get matched with a non-standard construction specialist today

Getting a mortgage on a single skin property is not always straightforward. To maximise your chances of getting the best deal available – you should speak to a broker who specialises in non-standard construction properties. This guidance will prove invaluable throughout the process.

We can help with this. We work with brokers who are experts in single skin property mortgages and they help people just like you secure this type of specialised lending every day. So, give us a call on 0808 189 0463 or make an enquiry and we can arrange for a free, no obligation chat between you and your ideal mortgage advisor today.


What if I want a buy-to-let single skin property?

You can do this. But, like with residential purchases, you will find your choice of lenders is significantly limited. You may also need to put down a larger deposit or have a higher annual income to offset the added risk. See our guide to buy-to-let mortgages for more information.

Will I need a specialist valuation?

Yes. The majority of lenders will require a specialist valuation to determine how risky the property you’re hoping to buy is and its potential resale value.

Ask a quick question

We know everyone's circumstances are different, that's why we work with mortgage brokers who are experts in all different Property Types. Ask us a question and we'll get the best expert to help.

FCA Logo
1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3 Send!
Pete Mugleston

Pete Mugleston

Mortgage Expert

About the author

Pete, an expert in all things mortgages, cut his teeth right in the middle of the credit crunch. With plenty of people needing help and few mortgage providers lending, Pete found great success in going the extra mile to find mortgages for people whom many others considered lost causes. The experience he gained, coupled with his love of helping people reach their goals, led him to establish Online Mortgage Advisor, with one clear vision – to help as many customers as possible get the right advice, regardless of need or background.

Pete’s presence in the industry as the ‘go-to’ for specialist finance continues to grow, and he is regularly cited in and writes for both local and national press, as well as trade publications, with a regular column in Mortgage Introducer and being the exclusive mortgage expert for LOVEMoney. Pete also writes for OMA of course!

FCA Disclaimer

*Based on our research, the content contained in this article is accurate as of the most recent time of writing. Lender criteria and policies change regularly so speak to one of the advisors we work with to confirm the most accurate up to date information. The information on the site is not tailored advice to each individual reader, and as such does not constitute financial advice. All advisors working with us are fully qualified to provide mortgage advice and work only for firms that are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. They will offer any advice specific to you and your needs.

Some types of buy to let mortgages are not regulated by the FCA. Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. As a mortgage is secured against your home, it may be repossessed if you do not keep up with repayments on your mortgage. Equity released from your home will also be secured against it.

Get Started